LISHA AND JOHN FIND A SMALL DIFFERENCE
One morning, Lisha and John were practicing at the Mini Bank in their vocational school. The Mini Bank was designed to simulate a real bank, allowing students to practice handling financial transactions, recording customer deposits, and preparing daily financial reports. (Suatu pagi, Lisha dan John sedang praktik di Mini Bank yang ada di sekolah kejuruan mereka. Mini Bank tersebut dirancang menyerupai bank sungguhan sehingga para siswa dapat berlatih melayani transaksi, mencatat setoran nasabah, dan menyusun laporan keuangan harian.
After serving several customers, they started checking the daily cash report before closing the Mini Bank. (Setelah melayani beberapa nasabah, mereka mulai memeriksa laporan kas harian sebelum Mini Bank ditutup.) After almost an hour, they finished the report. However, when they compared the total cash with the remaining balance, they found something different. John frowned as he looked at the report. "That's strange," he said. "Our report shows Rp1,955,000, but the cash drawer only contains Rp1,952,000." (Setelah hampir satu jam, mereka menyelesaikan laporan tersebut. Namun, ketika mereka membandingkan total kas dengan saldo yang tersisa, mereka menemukan sesuatu yang berbeda. John mengernyit sambil melihat laporan itu. "Aneh," katanya. "Laporan kita menunjukkan Rp1.955.000, tetapi uang di laci kas hanya Rp1.952.000.")
Lisha looked
surprised. "So, there's a difference of Rp3,000." (Lisha tampak
terkejut. "Jadi ada selisih Rp3.000.") John sighed. "It's
only three thousand rupiah. Maybe it's not a big problem." (John
menghela napas. "Cuma tiga ribu rupiah. Mungkin bukan masalah
besar.")
Lisha gently
shook her head. "I don't think so. Even though the amount is small, a
mistake is still a mistake. We should find the cause immediately because it
could affect the next financial records and administrative process." (Lisha
menggeleng pelan. "Menurutku tidak begitu. Meskipun jumlahnya kecil,
kesalahan tetaplah kesalahan. Kita harus segera mencari penyebabnya karena bisa
berdampak pada pencatatan keuangan dan proses administrasi berikutnya.")
John nodded. "You're
right. I think we should check today's transactions one by one." (John
mengangguk. "Kamu benar. Menurutku kita harus memeriksa transaksi hari ini
satu per satu.") Lisha agreed. "Let's compare every transaction
with the receipts and the cash records." (Lisha setuju. "Ayo kita
cocokkan setiap transaksi dengan bukti transaksi dan catatan kas.")
For the next several minutes, they carefully checked
every deposit slip, withdrawal form, receipt, and cash record. (Selama
beberapa menit berikutnya, mereka memeriksa setiap slip setoran, formulir
penarikan, bukti transaksi, dan catatan kas dengan teliti.) Finally, John
found the problem. "Oh! Here it is. I accidentally entered Rp36,000
instead of Rp39,000."
(Akhirnya John menemukan
penyebabnya. "Oh! Ini dia. Aku tidak sengaja memasukkan Rp36.000 padahal
seharusnya Rp39.000.")
Lisha smiled with relief. "If I were you, I
would always double-check the numbers before saving the transaction." (Lisha
tersenyum lega. "Kalau aku jadi kamu, aku akan selalu memeriksa kembali
angka-angkanya sebelum menyimpan transaksi.")
John smiled. "Thank you.
From now on, I'll be more careful because accuracy is one of the most important
skills in banking and accounting." (John tersenyum. "Terima kasih.
Mulai sekarang aku akan lebih teliti karena ketelitian adalah salah satu
keterampilan terpenting dalam dunia perbankan dan akuntansi.")
Just then,
their teacher walked into the Mini Bank and looked at their corrected report. "Excellent
work," the teacher said. "You didn't ignore the problem just because
the difference was small. A professional banker or accountant must always be
accurate, honest, and responsible." (Tak lama kemudian, guru mereka
masuk ke Mini Bank dan melihat laporan yang sudah diperbaiki. "Kerja yang
sangat baik," kata guru mereka. "Kalian tidak mengabaikan masalah
hanya karena selisihnya kecil. Seorang bankir atau akuntan yang profesional
harus selalu teliti, jujur, dan bertanggung jawab.")
Lisha and John smiled proudly. They learned that in
accounting and banking, even the smallest difference should never be ignored. (Lisha
dan John tersenyum bangga. Mereka belajar bahwa dalam dunia akuntansi dan
perbankan, bahkan selisih sekecil apa pun tidak boleh diabaikan.)
After reading Lisha and John's experience at the Mini Bank, we can see that giving suggestions is an important part of solving problems and working as a team. Instead of blaming each other, they shared ideas, gave advice, and worked together to find the mistake. In real workplaces, especially in accounting and banking, giving clear, polite, and helpful suggestions is an essential communication skill. Now, let's learn how to express suggestions correctly and how to respond to them in different situations.
(Setelah membaca pengalaman Lisha dan John di Mini Bank, kita dapat melihat bahwa memberikan saran merupakan bagian penting dalam menyelesaikan masalah dan bekerja sama sebagai sebuah tim. Alih-alih saling menyalahkan, mereka saling bertukar ide, memberikan saran, dan bekerja sama untuk menemukan kesalahan tersebut. Di dunia kerja, khususnya di bidang akuntansi dan perbankan, kemampuan memberikan saran yang jelas, sopan, dan bermanfaat merupakan salah satu keterampilan komunikasi yang sangat penting. Sekarang, mari kita pelajari cara menyampaikan saran dengan tepat serta bagaimana meresponsnya dalam berbagai situasi.)
---:::---||||||---:::---
SUGGESTIONS
Definition (Pengertian)
A suggestion is an idea, advice, or recommendation given to someone about what they should do in a particular situation.
(Suggestion adalah saran atau rekomendasi yang diberikan kepada seseorang mengenai apa yang sebaiknya dilakukan dalam situasi tertentu.)
PURPOSE OF SUGGESTIONS
We use suggestions to:
- give advice
- offer ideas
- help solve problems
- recommend a better way to do something
COMMON EXPRESSIONS OF SUGGESTIONS
Using "Should"
The word should is the most common way to give suggestions.
Examples:
- You should save your money.
- You should check the report again.
- We should arrive earlier.
- You should be more careful when entering financial data.
Using "Why don't...?"
Examples:
- Why don't you ask your teacher?
- Why don't we work together?
- Why don't you double-check the calculation?
Using "Let's..."
Examples:
- Let's review the report together.
- Let's help the customer.
- Let's finish this task before lunch.
Using "How about...?"
Examples:
- How about taking a short break?
- How about using a calculator?
- How about discussing it with our supervisor?
Using "What about...?"
Examples:
- What about checking the balance first?
- What about asking for more information?
- What about making a new schedule?
Using "I think..."
Examples:
- I think you should apologize.
- I think we should save the file.
- I think you should organize the documents first.
Using "If I were you..."
Examples:
- If I were you, I would check the invoice again.
- If I were you, I would arrive on time.
- If I were you, I would ask the customer politely.
RESPONDING TO SUGGESTIONS
Accepting Suggestions
- That's a good idea.
- I think you're right.
- Great idea!
- Thanks for your suggestion.
- I'll do that.
- Sounds good.
- I'll try it.
Declining Suggestions
- I'm not sure that's a good idea.
- I don't think so.
- Thanks, but I have another plan.
- I'd rather do it another way.
- Maybe next time.
LANGUAGE TIPS
Suggestions usually use:
- should
- let's
- why don't...
- how about...
- what about...
- if I were you...
Remember:
A suggestion should sound polite, helpful, and respectful.
EXAMPLES IN DIALOG
Dialogue 1 – Checking Financial Reports
Andi : I found a different total in this financial report. What should I do?
Sinta : You should check the calculations again before submitting it.
Andi : That's a good idea. I'll review every transaction carefully.
Sinta : It's always better to be accurate than to be fast.
Dialogue 2 – Serving a Customer
Customer : Excuse me, I'm not sure how to fill out this deposit form.
Bank Officer : Let me help you. I think you should write your account number here first.
Customer : Thank you. That makes it much easier.
Bank Officer : You're welcome. Please let me know if you need more help.
Dialogue 3 – Preparing for an Accounting Test
Lisha : The accounting test is tomorrow, but I still don't understand adjusting entries.
John : Why don't we study together after school?
Lisha : That's a great idea.
John : Let's review the examples one by one.
Dialogue 4 – During an Internship
Supervisor : This report has several missing documents.
Student : I'm sorry, Sir.
Supervisor : You should check every document before submitting the report.
Student : Thank you for your advice. I'll be more careful next time.
LANGUAGE FOCUS
| Expression | Function | Example |
|---|---|---|
| should | Giving advice | You should save your work. |
| let's | Making a suggestion together | Let's work together. |
| why don't | Suggesting an action | Why don't you ask your teacher? |
| how about | Offering an idea | How about checking it again? |
| what about | Suggesting an alternative | What about using another calculator? |
| if I were you | Giving personal advice | If I were you, I would check it twice. |
CONCLUSION
Suggestions are an important part of daily communication because they help us solve problems, make better decisions, and work effectively with others. For Accounting and Banking students, knowing how to give and respond to suggestions politely is especially useful when working with customers, colleagues, supervisors, and financial documents. By practicing these expressions, you will become more confident in both classroom discussions and real workplace situations.
EXERCISES – SUGGESTIONS
A. Multiple Choice
Choose the best answer.
1. Lisha : "I can't find the mistake in today's financial report."
John : "________"
A. Congratulations!
B. I think you should check the receipts again.
C. That's impossible.
D. You're welcome.
2. Which sentence is used to give a suggestion?
A. I finished my homework yesterday.
B. Let's review the report together.
C. The bank opens at 8 a.m.
D. I'm reading a financial report.
3. Customer : "I don't know how to fill out this deposit slip."
Bank Officer : "________"
A. You should ask another customer.
B. Let me help you fill it out.
C. I don't know either.
D. That's your problem.
4. Which response shows that someone accepts a suggestion?
A. I don't think so.
B. That's a good idea.
C. Never mind.
D. I don't care.
5. Which suggestion is the most appropriate for an accounting student before submitting a financial report?
A. You should ignore the receipts.
B. Let's spend the money first.
C. You should double-check every calculation.
D. Why don't you leave the report unfinished?
B. Complete the Dialog
Choose the best expression.
6.
John : "There's a difference of Rp3,000 in the cash report."
Lisha : "________"
A. You should check each transaction carefully.
B. Congratulations!
C. Happy birthday!
D. That's delicious.
7.
Andi : "I don't understand this accounting exercise."
Bunga : "________ study together after school?"
A. Why don't we
B. Shall not we
C. Have to we
D. Are we
8.
Customer : "Which counter should I go to?"
Bank Officer : "________ ask the customer service officer over there?"
A. Why don't you
B. Did you
C. Have you
D. Are you
9.
Lisha : "I feel tired after checking these reports."
John : "________ taking a short break?"
A. How about
B. How many
C. How often
D. How far
10.
Supervisor : "The report still has some mistakes."
Student : "Thank you. ________"
A. I'll check it again.
B. I don't believe you.
C. That's impossible.
D. I'll ignore it.
C. Read the Situation and Choose the Best Suggestion
11. Your classmate always submits assignments late.
A. You should manage your time better.
B. Don't study anymore.
C. Skip tomorrow's class.
D. Forget about the assignment.
12. Your friend looks nervous before making a presentation.
A. You should go home now.
B. I think you should take a deep breath and stay confident.
C. Don't speak at all.
D. You should cancel your presentation.
13. A customer cannot use the ATM because they forgot their PIN.
A. You should guess the PIN.
B. I think you should contact customer service for assistance.
C. Try any number.
D. Ignore the problem.
14. Your partner enters the wrong amount into the banking system.
A. Leave it as it is.
B. You should correct it immediately and inform the supervisor.
C. Delete all the data.
D. Start chatting with your friends.
15. Your class is preparing a financial report, but everyone is working separately.
A. Let's work together and divide the tasks.
B. Everyone should work alone forever.
C. Nobody should help each other.
D. Let's cancel the project.
D. Rearrange the Words
Arrange the words into correct suggestion sentences.
16.
should – check – you – receipts – the – again
17.
about – how – report – reviewing – together – the
18.
don't – why – ask – teacher – your – you
E. HOTS Questions
Read the situation and answer the questions.
19.
Lisha and John found a difference of Rp3,000 in the Mini Bank's daily cash report. John wanted to ignore it because the amount was very small.
What suggestion would you give to John? Explain your answer in 2–3 sentences.
20.
Why is giving suggestions politely important when working in a bank or an accounting office?
Explain your opinion.
F. Writing Activity (Speaking & Writing)
Work with a partner.
Create a dialogue of 8–10 exchanges between Lisha and John. Choose one from the situation below.
Situation 1:
Lisha and John will represent their school in an Accounting Competition next week. They are discussing how to prepare for the competition and giving suggestions to each other.
Situation 2:
Lisha and John will start their internship at a local bank next Monday. They are discussing what they should prepare before the first day.
Situation 3:
Lisha is serving a customer at the Mini Bank. The customer looks confused about opening a savings account. John notices the situation and gives Lisha some suggestions on how to help the customer politely.
Situation 4:
Lisha and John are members of the finance committee for their school's Financial Fair. They are discussing how to make the event successful and giving suggestions about budgeting, promotion, and teamwork.
Situation 5:
Tomorrow, Lisha and John have their first practical examination in the Mini Bank. They are talking after school about how to prepare for the exam and giving suggestions to each other.
Your dialogue must include:
- at least five suggestion expressions
- at least three responses (accepting or declining suggestions)
- a clear plan for the competition
- polite and natural English expressions
G. Creative Project
22. Pair Presentation
Imagine you and your partner are working not at the same company.
One student has a problem at work, and the other gives suggestions to solve it.
Perform your dialogue in front of the class for 2–3 minutes. Speak clearly, use polite expressions, and maintain eye contact with your audience.

Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar